Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Philosophy of Technology in Education

I believe that technology is an invaluable resource for teachers to use in the classroom. However, the recent emphasis on integrating more technology into the classroom raises some concerns in my mind. I understand the benefits of utilizing technology in the classroom, but I think technology needs to be used in combination with traditional teaching methods and strategies. When used in an appropriate and safe way, technology can increase motivation and engagement in the classroom and provide many opportunities for differentiated instruction.
Using technology in the classroom can motivate students to participate in class. In one Arizona classroom aimed at incorporating a plethora of different technologies, students participated enthusiastically in a variety of technology assisted activities and projects (NY Times). The students in this classroom were not sitting in desks staring at the whiteboard, they were engaged in the learning taking place around them (NY Times). This is a reflection of the amount of time today’s students spend using technology. One study found that kids “ages 8 to 18 spend more than seven and a half hours a day” using smartphones, laptops, ipods, and other forms of technology (NY Times study).  As a student myself, I have noticed that I am more motivated to participate and even a little excited when I have the opportunity to use a new form of technology in the classroom. Teachers can motivate students to learn, capture their attention, and keep students engaged by incorporating technology in the classroom.
Another benefit of incorporating technology in the classroom is the ease with which it can be used to differentiate instruction. After visiting the Ershig Assistive Technology Resource Center at Western, as well as listening to a presentation about additional forms of assistive technology, I realized the wealth of technology available to support individual student learning. Technological tools can be used to tailor a lesson or instruction to different student needs. Teachers can provide students with specific programs that support their weaker areas while simultaneously engaging the student’s particular learning style and interests.
 Many different programs have recently been created to help students with learning difficulties. One of my favorite programs, Inspiration, can be used to create concept maps. Students who have a hard time organizing their thoughts or large amounts of information would benefit from this type of program. I have also seen a variety of programs aimed at supporting literacy skills, such as iPad apps that read to students, word prediction software, and literacy programs for the Smartboard. Because technology is so versatile, in the future I will be able to select tools for my students to use that meet their specific needs.
Even though technology offers numerous benefits for students and teachers, it should be used cautiously. The boom in instructional technology comes in the midst of an educational crisis that has forced teachers and administrators to face shrinking budgets, teacher layoffs, large class sizes, and dwindling resources. School districts are facing tough decisions between keeping teachers or technology (NY Times).  Despite spending millions of dollars to bring technology into the classroom, some schools are not seeing any changes in test scores (NY Times).  At the Waldorf School of the Peninsula in Silicon Valley, students don’t use computers or any other form of technology in the classroom. The students write on blackboards, work in the school garden, carve wood, and even write with a pencil and paper. The students at Waldorf are engaged, motivated, and quite successful in their studies (Education Nation). Teachers at the Waldorf school point out that incorporating technology does not necessarily lead to success: "I'm concerned that if we say we need technology to engage students we're missing the fact that what engages students is good teachers and good teaching,’ said Lisa Babinet, a Waldorf math teacher” (Education Nation). Instructional technology can only be successful with students if it is paired with skilled teachers and instructional practices.
Many of the new instructional technologies available today are excellent tools for teachers to have in their repertoire.  However, these tools cannot take the place of quality instruction or high quality teachers. When technology is used to enhance a lesson, or to make a lesson more accessible to students, I believe it can help teachers teach more effectively and lead to a higher level of student performance. As a future educator, I hope to use many different types of technology in my classroom. I would like to have a smart board, computers, and a few iPads for my students to use. I would also like to utilize some of the tools I learned to create during IT442. For example, I would love to make a class collection of ebooks written by my students, or even a class collection of instructional videos. I would also like to explore some exemplar classroom websites and eventually create my own. Finally, I would like to take advantage of blogs and other forms of technology that encourage collaboration between teachers, students, and parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment