Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Technology options for education

Today I learned about many different technologies that I might want to use in my future classroom.

Some technology I would be most likely to use include:
  • Mathboard: an inexpensive app for the iPad that allows students to complete a variety of math functions. It gives instructions and reference tools.
  • Quizlet: an online flashcard maker. This site allows students to create flashcards and collaborate with each other. Or, a teacher can create a class set for all students to use.
  • Flixtime: an online slideshow tool with built in pictures and songs. Students can upload their photos and videos and create a slideshow.
  • Edistorm: a virtual brainstorming tool. This site allows students to post virtual sticky notes for brainstorming and organizing concepts. This site is collaborative, offers privacy controls, and works on multiple devices.
  • Smart board: an interactive whiteboard tool. Smart boards provide so many engaging and interactive opportunities for learning activities. I like the matching activity as well as the different writing activities.
Some technologies I probably would not use in the classroom:
  • Slimber: an online drawing or painting program. This program is similar to paint. I probably would not use it because it isn't as directly related to educational content as some as the other tech choices. Also, students would have access to the same type of program on paint.
  • Doink: an art animation site which allows users to create images and then animate them. This program was neat, but it seems like it would be more distracting than beneficial.
I learned many instructional strategy tips from my classmates. I was really impressed to see how many different uses for these tech choices my classmates came up with. I am interested in learning how to incorporate more tech resources for simple things like flashcards or addition problems. The most important thing I learned was that even though technology offers much of the same content material as a paper and pencil environment, utilizing some of these online resources is much more engaging and allows for much more creativity.

The most fascinating technology I learned about was Edistorm. I am a huge fan of sticky notes! I thought it was so cool that there is a site devoted to sticky note brainstorming. Not only can I create my own sticky note brainstorm, Edistorm would allow me to collaborate with others. This could be a great resource in the classroom! I also thought the mathboard app for the iPad was very interesting. The app was very engaging and provided so many different options for supporting student learning.

I am really excited to see how I can utilize some of these great resources in my future classroom!

Lyndsey

No comments:

Post a Comment